Whether you are 20 or 40 years old, neck and shoulder issues are becoming familiar with both categories. These issues often occur for many factors, including, the unhealthy sedentary lifestyle, bad sitting habits, everyday stress, and the list is way too long!
However, a stiff neck and tight shoulder are issues you can handle with some regular and simple stretches. These stretches are not just simple but also effective and can help you get rid of the pain and relax. Still, keep in mind that you should do them correctly to avoid developing any other issues or undesirable consequences.
#1 – Neck Roll
It’s true that this exercise is simple and easy to do, but its effect is magical! It can help release the tension existing around your neck area.
This exercise might come really useful for those who spend hours at work sitting or typing. It’s also good for those who simply suffer from neck issues. To do this gentle stretch correctly, you should :
– Grab a towel and roll it.
– As you can see in the picture, the rolled towel should be placed right at the base of your head.
– When you place the towel, make sure your head fall back toward the floor and relax.
– For better results, try to stay in this position for 10 minutes or until you feel the pain has disappeared.
#2 – Clasping Neck Strech
This is another simple yet effective stretch to try when you are in pain and hope to experience a certain relief. This deep stretch is in the first place meant to provide your upper back with the comfort needed.
Hence, every time you have heavy neck and shoulders, don’t hesitate to do the exercise. To do it the right way, you should follow these simple steps :
– It doesn’t really matter whether you choose to sit on a chair or on the floor as long as you are comfortable.
– As you are comfortably sitting, try to clasp your hands behind your head.
– Now, you should gently and slowly pull your head down and your chin toward your chest.
– Try to maintain this position for 30 to 40 minutes and then slowly return to the first position and then release your hands.
#3 – Lateral Neck Flexion Strech
The name of the stretch might seem hard to remember but as soon as you see the picture, you will find the stretch familiar and easy to perform. This stretch targets the sides of the neck and works on making them less tense and stiff. To do it the right way, you have to follow these important steps :
– To start you should maintain a comfortable sitting position.
– Next, you should place your right hand on the top of your head and then slowly pull it to your right.
– Great, while doing the stretch, make sure that your back is straight and shoulders relaxed.
– Maintain this position for 30 to 40 seconds and then slowly and gently try to lift your head back to the starting position.
– Follow the same process when you move to the other side.
#4 – Upper Trapezius Strech
Performing this stretch might not be that easy but it’s amazing as it targets both the neck and shoulder. This won’t only help you be more flexible but also more relaxed and pain-free. To do the exercise correctly, you just need to follow these important points :
– Put your right arms behind you and try to grab it gently with your other arm or say left arm.
– Now, you should gently and slowly pull the hand toward the left foot.
– While you are doing so, make sure to tilt your left ear toward your left shoulder.
– Stay like that for 20 seconds and then move to the other side and repeat the whole process.
#5 – Levator Scapulae Strech
Like the previous one, this one also targets both neck and shoulder sides! This stretch is simple and can be performed whenever you are ready and comfortable. However, it is important to be careful when doing it to avoid any undesirable issues or consequences. You just need to :
– Maintain a comfortable sitting position by sitting on a chair and holding it from behind with only one hand.
– Make sure to tip your ear toward your left shoulder and your chin toward the chest.
– Carefully and gently rotate your head 45° degrees to the right and then again one more time to the left. Make sure your movements are gentle!
– Try to hold on for 20 to 30 seconds on one side before you switch to the other side.
#6 – Thread The Needle
Don’t let the picture above freak you out! The move is easier than it might seem. It is extremely important and can help you release the tension that you might be experiencing at the level of your upper back and between your shoulder blades. To do the move smoothly without harming your joints, you should :
– Start by getting into your knees and hands.
– Next, you should slide up your left arm with the palm between your right legs and arms while slowly rotating your body until you touch the floor with your head.
– Maintain this position for 30 to 40 seconds and then move to the other side and repeat the entire process.
#7 – Shoulders Roll
This movement is perfect for those who are constantly experiencing shoulder tension and tightness. Besides, it’s simple and can provide you with ultimate comfort and relaxation. To do it properly, you just need to do the following :
– First, you should maintain a comfortable standing or sitting position. Make sure you keep your neck and back in a straight position.
– Next, you should slowly lift your shoulders and then start to carefully roll them back and down.
– Remember to keep your chin tucked and move smoothly.
#8 – Cross-Body Arm Stretch
You might think that this move is only good for your biceps, but guess what? You are wrong ! Oh, yes you read it right! In fact, this gentle and simple stretch movement can do wonders when it comes to relieving shoulder tension, stress, and pain. And to do it right, you will need to :
– Maintain a standing position and make sure that your feet are shoulder width apart.
– Next, you should cross your left arm across your chest.
– Pull your left arm right above the elbow closer to your body by using your right hand.
– Hold on for 10 to 20 seconds and repeat the same process for the other side.
#9 – Cow-Face Pose
This is another amazing stretch move that can provide your body with many benefits. The move doesn’t only help your shoulders to relax but also targets multiple muscles, which is great! Here are simple steps to follow to make sure you perform the move correctly :
– Raise your left arm in a straight position, bend it, and then slowly place it before your head.
– Put your right hand before your back, try to reach up and grab your left hand.
– Maintain this position for about 10 seconds, release, and move to the other side.
#10 – Straight-Arm Wall Strech
This is literally an amazing move that can effectively help you get rid of all the tension you are experiencing at the level of your shoulders. However, keep in mind that doing it in the wrong way can make the situation even worse and increase your pain instead of relieving it. Hence, it is important that you follow these steps :
– Place your left arm right against the wall and while doing so, make sure that your palm is facing the wall or ceiling.
– Try to gently press the shoulder to the wall.
– Next, you should slowly move your chest away from the wall by creating a gentle and soft stretch.
– Maintain this position for 30 to 40 seconds and then move to the other side and repeat!