Last Updated on July 10, 2018
Workouts are the best way to fix any health issue, and this one will take only 5 minutes from your day and it will be as effective as you hope. Lower back pain is very annoying, uncomfortable and, well, painful.
There are many factors that could lead you to experience it and the only case you should be concerned is when the pain is a symptom of a serious body dysfunction. Otherwise, it will only be a result of sitting uncomfortably for a long time, lifting up something heavy, making an abrupt movement or overstraining the muscles.
Workouts are better solutions for these cases than medicine, especially if the pain is unbearable and runs down your leg into your foot. Of course, it is best to check with your healthcare provider.
But if you are positive that it hurts because of a “normal” reason, then it won’t hurt to try this 5-minute workout that will absolutely relieve your pain. It is very simple and also recommended by doctors.
First, you have to know this:
– This workout aims to release the cramps out of the muscles that irritate the sciatic nerve.
– You should hold each position for at least 30 seconds.
– Don’t force this workout on yourself and do it slowly.
– In case the workout caused a severe pain, it is best to stop and visit your doctor.
#1 – Position 1
Sit on a chair with a straight back, bend your knees perpendicular to the floor, and then:
1. Put the affected leg on the other one (the affected leg must be parallel to the floor)
2. Grab your calf with both of your hands.
3. Slowly, bend forward as low as you can while using the upper leg as support.
4. Drop your hands downward.
5. Hold the position for 30 seconds.
6. Return to the very first position, SLOWLY.
7. Do it again using the other leg.
#2 – Position 2
Lay on your back with your legs flat, take a deep breath, and then:
1. Raise the affected leg until it is 90° with the floor, then bend your knee.
2. Put the hand of the same side on the bent knee.
3. Hold your ankle with the other hand.
4. When you feel the muscle stretch, hold the position for 30 seconds.
5. Spread your legs back on the floor, and then do the same exercise with the other leg.
#3 – Position 3
Stay in the same position with your legs flat and back on the floor:
1. Raise the leg that hurts above the other one.
2. Place the foot outside the other knee.
3. Take the opposite hand and put it on your knee.
4. Start to pull towards your chest, slowly.
5. Hold the position for 30 seconds when you feel the muscle stretch.
6. Replicate the same routine with the other leg.
#4 – Position 4
Again, lay on the floor with the back and feet flat. Don’t forget to breathe deeply:
1. Raise both legs and cross them (the affected one must be on top)
2. Grab both of your legs and slowly pull the knee of the affected leg towards the shoulder of the same side.
3. Hold for 30 seconds when you feel the muscle stretch.
4. Now switch legs and repeat.